CNC Turning of Titanium Studded Threaded Fasteners for the Military Industry
(Click on thumbnail to enlarge)
Customers in demanding industries engage us at Miller Precision Manufacturing Industries, Inc. for complex projects where quality is not negotiable. We manufactured the titanium studded threaded fastener highlighted here for a military application. Our involvement in this project began at the design phase, where we were on a tight deadline to develop, prototype, and test various iterations of the fastener until the precise geometry and performance criteria were satisfied.
Designed for use in expeditionary fighting vehicles, these threaded inserts were used to mount armor plate on the outside of the aluminum structure as well as secure seats and electronic equipment on the inside. We utilized our high-tech machining equipment at its maximum potential to achieve the specialized cutting geometry and proprietary thread pattern devised to ensure a watertight seal. When completed, the fastener featured overall dimensions of 2.372” in length x 1.420” in width and we manufactured it to within ± 0.0005” tolerances. Quality assurance procedures incorporated machine vision inspections, CMM dimensional verification, as well as installation and breakaway testing.
We produced 5000 units and shipped them to the client within a very narrow two-week timeline. This would not have been possible without a staff with the skills, ingenuity, and dedication to ensure the client’s every requirement was met. If you are interested in learning more about this project, you can refer to the table below, or contact us at any time for more information.
Request a Quote
Titanium Studded Threaded Fasteners Project Highlights
- Product Name
- Studded Fastener
- Product Description
- The primary use of these fasteners for the military varies. These threaded inserts are used to fasten armor plate to expeditionary fighting vehicles, mount electronic equipment to the inside of aluminum structured vehicles, and anything that is has an aluminum structure that you would need to mount something to. These were used in a watertight application that they needed to mount armor plate on the outside of a vehicle, and mount seats and equipment on the inside of the vehicle.
- Capabilities Applied/Processes
- Equipment Used to Manufacture Part
- Okuma Live Tool Barfed Lathe
Haas VF4 Vertical Mill with 4th Axis Indexer
- Overall Part Dimensions
- 2.372” x 1.420”
- Tightest Tolerances
- ± 0.0005”
- Material Used
- In process testing/inspection performed
- Install & Breakaway testing
Vue Vision Inspections
CMM Dimensional Inspections
- Industry for Use
- 5,000 per year
- Delivery/Turnaround Time
- 2 weeks
- Delivery Location
- Standards Met
- Customer Specifications, 2D CAD Drawing
View Other Past Projects
Back to Top